The additive value of patch testing with patients' own products at an occupational dermatology clinic

Dan Slodownik, Jason Williams, Kathryn Frowen, Amanda Palmer, Melanie Matheson, Rosemary Nixon

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background and objectives: Patch testing with commercially available kits detects only 70-80% of relevant allergens in patients with contact dermatitis. This is not ideal, especially when occupational issues are being evaluated. This study analyses our data regarding reactions to patients' own products. Methods: In a 5-year period, 1532 patients were assessed in our occupational dermatology clinic. Results: We found that 101 patients (6.6%) reacted to their own samples. In 20 (1.3%) cases, reacting to their own samples was the only clue for detecting the responsible allergen. In 59 (3.9%) cases, testing with their own samples reinforced their reactions to commercial allergens. Conclusions: We found the overall additive value of testing with patients' own products to be 5.2%. This is not a low proportion considering the 20-30% false negative rate when patch testing. Patch testing with patients' own samples, appropriately diluted should be undertaken whenever possible.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)231-235
Number of pages5
JournalContact Dermatitis
Volume61
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 2009
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Allergic contact dermatitis
  • Allergy
  • Hand eczema
  • Irritant contact dermatitis
  • Own substances
  • Samples

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'The additive value of patch testing with patients' own products at an occupational dermatology clinic'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this