'Telangiectatic' transformation in soft tissue sarcomas. A clinicopathology analysis of an aggressive feature of high-grade sarcomas

Amir Sternheim, Xiaolong Jin, Barry Shmookler, James Jelinek, Martin M. Malawer

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background: 'Telangiectatic' change, which contains a large fluid hemorrhagic component, occurs in a variety of high-grade soft tissue sarcomas. Methods: In a retrospective database review, we identified 20 consecutive patients (3%) with 'telangiectatic' change in soft tissue sarcomas. Results: Tumors were located in the thigh (55%), shoulder (15%), calf (15%), upper arm (10%), and buttock in one patient. All 20 tumors were high grade. Histological diagnoses were MFH (40%), leiomyosarcoma (15%), synovial sarcoma (10%), and one each of seven other sarcomas (35%). Tumor size was often large-more than 10 cm (35%), between 5 and 10 cm (60%), and less than 5 cm in one case. A history of contusion to the tumor site followed by swelling was recorded in 30% of patients and 80% presented with a painful mass. On MRI imaging, 60% of tumors appeared to contain more than 50% blood, 50% had a hemosiderin-laden rim, and 55% had well-defined tumor nodules within the wall of the hematoma. Limb-sparing surgery was carried out in 90% of patients, the other 10% underwent primary amputation. The 5-year, event-free survival rate was 30%. Of the patients, 15% presented initially with metastatic disease; in 53%, it developed within 2 years of diagnosis. The overall local recurrence rate was 30%. Conclusions: Telangiectatic transformation in soft tissue sarcomas is a rare feature of aggressive high-grade soft tissue sarcomas and is unique in its clinical presentation, MRI characteristics, pathological pattern, and a tendency for a worse-off prognosis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)345-354
Number of pages10
JournalAnnals of Surgical Oncology
Volume15
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 2008
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Hemorrhagic Sarcoma
  • Soft tissue sarcoma
  • Tumor Necrosis

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of ''Telangiectatic' transformation in soft tissue sarcomas. A clinicopathology analysis of an aggressive feature of high-grade sarcomas'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this