Report of accidental CS ingestion among seven patients in central Israel and review of the current literature

I. Solomon, I. Kochba, E. Eizenkraft, N. Maharshak

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

Abstract

A report of seven people who accidentally drank a juice contaminated with CS (o-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile) is given. Due to its mucosal irritating properties, CS (also known as "tear gas") is commonly used by policemen and soldiers in riot control. However, only a few reports of its ingestion by humans exist. Ingestion of CS may cause immediate irritation of the oral mucosa and gastrointestinal symptoms later on. Damage of internal organs, which has been shown in animals but only rarely in humans, is probably related to the dose ingested. The extensive use of CS gas merits recognition of the signs and symptoms of its exposure in order to reduce anxiety in both patients and medical staff and to facilitate fast and efficient management.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)601-604
Number of pages4
JournalArchives of Toxicology
Volume77
Issue number10
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 2003
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • CS
  • Ingestion
  • O-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile
  • Tear gas

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Report of accidental CS ingestion among seven patients in central Israel and review of the current literature'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this