Background: Detailed information on the profile of patients with Brugada syndrome (BrS) presenting their first arrhythmic event (AE) after prophylactic implantation of an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) is limited. Objectives: The objectives of this study were (1) to compare clinical, electrocardiographic, electrophysiologic, and genetic profiles of patients who exhibited their first documented AE as aborted cardiac arrest (group A) with profiles of those in whom the AE was documented after prophylactic ICD implantation (group B) and (2) to characterize group B patients’ profile using the class II indications for ICD implantation established by HRS/EHRA/APHRS expert consensus statement in 2013. Methods: A survey of 23 centers from 10 Western and 4 Asian countries enabled data collection of 678 patients with BrS who exhibited their AE (group A, n = 426; group B, n = 252). Results: The first AE occurred in group B patients 6.7 years later than in group A (mean age 46.1 ± 13.3 years vs 39.4 ± 15.1 years; P <.001). Group B patients had a higher incidence of family history of sudden cardiac death and SCN5A mutations. Of the 252 group B patients, 189 (75%) complied with the HRS/EHRA/APHRS indications whereas the remaining 63 (25%) did not. Conclusion: Patients with BrS with the first AE documented after prophylactic ICD implantation exhibited their AE at a later age with a higher incidence of positive family history of sudden cardiac death and SCN5A mutations as compared with those presenting with aborted cardiac arrest. Only 75% of patients who exhibited an AE after receiving a prophylactic ICD complied with the 2013 class II indications, suggesting that efforts are still required for improving risk stratification.
- Arrhythmic risk stratification
- Electrophysiologic study
- Sudden cardiac death