One stage combined endoscopic and per-oral buccal fat pad approach for large oro-antral-fistula closure with secondary chronic maxillary sinusitis

Gilad Horowitz, Ilan Koren*, Narin Nard Carmel, Sagi Balaban, Sara Abu-Ghanem, Dan M. Fliss, Shlomi Kleinman, Vadim Reiser

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


There are numerous surgical approaches for oro-antral-fistula (OAF) closure. Secondary sinus disease is still considered by many experts a relative contra indication for primary closure. To describe a single-stage combined endoscopic sinus surgery and per-oral buccal fat pad (BFP) flap approach for large OAF causing chronic maxillary sinusitis. The records of all the patients with OAF and chronic manifestations of secondary rhinosinusitis that were treated between 2010 and 2013 in our tertiary care medical center were reviewed. The exclusion criteria were: OAF ≤ 5 mm, resolved sino-nasal disease, OAF secondary to malignancy, recurrent fistula, medical history that included radiotherapy to the maxillary bone and age <18 years. Each procedure was performed by a team consisting of a rhinologist and a maxillofacial surgeon. The surgical approach included an endoscopic middle antrostomy with maxillary sinus drainage, and a per-oral BFP regional flap for OAF closure. Total OAF closure, complications and need for revision surgeries. Forty-five patients that underwent OAF closure together with sinus surgery using a combined endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS) and BFP flap approach met the inclusion criteria. There were 28 males and 17 females with a mean ± SD age of 53.5 ± 14.9 years (range 22–80 years). The presenting signs and symptoms included purulent rhinorrhea (n = 22, 48.9 %), foreign body in sinus (n = 10, 22.2 %) nasal congestion (n = 7, 15.5 %), halitosis (n = 6, 13.3 %) and pain (n = 5, 12.2 %). Surgical complications included local pain (n = 2, 4.4 %), persistent rhinitis (n = 2, 4.4 %) and synechia (n = 1, 2.2 %). One patient required revision surgery due to an unresolved OAF. The OAF of all the other 44 patients (97.8 %) was closed after the first procedure and the paranasal sinuses on the treated side were completely recovered. The mean follow-up time for the group was 7.6 ± 4.3 months (7–21 months), and no untoward sequelae or recurrence were reported. Combined, one step, endoscopic Maxillary sinus drainage together with per-oral BFP flap approach is an efficacious surgical approach for safe closure of OAFs that are complicated with secondary chronic maxillary sinusitis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)905-909
Number of pages5
JournalEuropean Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology
Issue number4
StatePublished - 1 Apr 2016


  • Buccal fat pad
  • Combined approach
  • Endoscopic
  • Oro-antral-fistula


Dive into the research topics of 'One stage combined endoscopic and per-oral buccal fat pad approach for large oro-antral-fistula closure with secondary chronic maxillary sinusitis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this