Nature Of Spontaneous Tympanic Membrane Perforation In Acute Otitis Media In Children

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

The study was undertaken to define the characteristics of spontaneous eardrum perforation in acute otitis media. Eighty (29.5 per cent) out of 271 children with acute otitis media had eardrums which perforated. An increased incidence of perforation was associated with a previous history of otitis media. All perforations were small and limited exclusively to the pars tensa. In 85 per cent of the patients, the perforation was located in the anterior-inferior quadrant. It had smooth margins enabling free drainage of pus and was associated with a favourable clinical course. In the remaining 15 per cent of the cases, the perforation was located in the posterior-superior quandrant. It had a nipple-like shape with a tiny opening that did not allow pus to drain sufficiently from the middle ear. The perforation closed in 94 per cent of the patients within one month. The healing process was gradual and following perforation closure, there was evidence of middle ear effusion for some time before normal aeration was regained.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1150-1153
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Laryngology and Otology
Volume103
Issue number12
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 1989
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Nature Of Spontaneous Tympanic Membrane Perforation In Acute Otitis Media In Children'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this