Long-Term outcomes of pediatric dacryocystorhinostomy in a single medical center– a retrospective study

Meydan Ben Ishai*, Amir Sternfeld, Liat Schwalb, Judith Dadon, Mor Krubiner, Tzippy Shochat, Elad Ben Artsi, Ethan Soudry, Inbal Avisar

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Purpose: To examine the long-term success rate of pediatric endoscopic DCR surgery via telephone questionnaires, as determined by patients and their parents. Methods: This is a retrospective cohort study of all patients who underwent DCR surgery at the Schneider Children's Medical Center of Israel between 2010 and 2020. We performed long-term follow-ups to assess the quality of life, surgical complications, and satisfaction with surgical outcomes. Results: Our study includes seventy-nine patients with a total of 108 eyes. The mean age at the time of DCR was 7.05 years (Std = 4, min = 0.3, max = 17.7) Mean follow-up time was 5.7 years (Std =2.5, min = 1.4, max = 11.1). Tubes were inserted for a mean of 129 days (Std = 101). Fifty-seven patients (72%) declared they had no complications after surgery, three patients (4%) reported pain after surgery, and 14 patients (17.7%) reported tube extrusion, which occurred 7–21 days after surgery. Forty-four patients (56%) reported no recurrence of symptoms, 29 (37%) complained of mild epiphora, and 18 (23%) reported some ocular discharge. Sixty-eight patients (86%) stated that they did not undergo additional surgery, while the remaining 11 (14%) reported undergoing a revision operation for symptom control. Satisfaction rate (1–7) mean score reported was 6.15 (Std = 1.6). Sixty-two (78%) reported improved quality of life, while 17 (22%) reported no improvement. Our questionnaire results have been compared with the TEARS scores with similar findings. Conclusion: Regardless of its etiology, endoscopic DCR surgery in the pediatric population is safe and efficient, with a high long-term patient satisfaction rate, as reported via a telephone questionnaire.

Original languageEnglish
JournalEuropean Journal of Ophthalmology
DOIs
StateAccepted/In press - 2024

Keywords

  • Dacryocystorhinostomy
  • endoscopic
  • follow-up
  • pediatrics
  • questionnaire

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Long-Term outcomes of pediatric dacryocystorhinostomy in a single medical center– a retrospective study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this