Liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin citrate (Myocet) for treatment of recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer: A retrospective analysis

Ram Eitan, Ami Fishman, Michai Meirovitz, Hadassah Goldenberg, Amnon Amit, Claude Koren, Yulia Schneider, Ora Rosengarten, Avivit Neuman, Shoshanna Keren-Rosenberg, Tamar Safra

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

The aim of this study was to assess the clinical activity and toxicity of liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin citrate (Myocet) in a retrospective multicenter cohort of epithelial ovarian, primary peritoneal, and tubal cancer patients. Records of patients with recurrent epithelial ovarian, primary peritoneal, and tubal cancer treated with liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin citrate (60 mg/m2 on day 1 of a 21-day cycle) after failure of more than one previous regimen were reviewed. Fifty-three patients were evaluated for efficacy and toxicity. The median age of the patients was 59 (range 39-73). The median follow-up was 6 months (range 1-17). One patient (1.9%) showed a complete response and 13 patients (24.5%) showed a partial response, yielding an overall response rate of 26.4% (14/53 patients). Clinical benefit was achieved in 36 patients (67.9%). The median progression-free survival (PFS) for the entire study population was 4.0 months (range 1.0-14.8). The median PFS for platinum-sensitive and platinum-resistant patients was 4.0 months (ranges 1.0-14.8 and 1.0-9.4, respectively; P=0.652). The median overall survival from the start of liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin citrate was 10.0 months. Multivariate survival analysis showed no association between the liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin citrate line of treatment or platinum sensitivity to PFS in age and BRCA status-adjusted models. Only 11.3% of patients experienced grade 3-4 hematologic toxicities, 80% grade-2 alopecia, and 50% grade-1-2 fatigue. No other grade-4 toxicities, no significant cardiac events, or hand and foot syndromes were reported. Liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin citrate was well tolerated, with a good response and high clinical benefit rate. Further evaluation in a larger prospective cohort is warranted.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)101-105
Number of pages5
JournalAnti-Cancer Drugs
Volume25
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 2014

Keywords

  • Chemosensitivity
  • Liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin
  • Recurrent ovarian cancer
  • Toxicity

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin citrate (Myocet) for treatment of recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer: A retrospective analysis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this