Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is a toxic gas produced in decaying substances containing organic sulfur. Exposure to the gas causes severe disturbances in the central nervous and respiratory systems. The mechanism of toxicity is disruption of the electron transport chain in mitochondria, resulting in intracellular hypoxia. Treatment of H2S poisoning includes mechanical ventilation with 100% oxygen and immediate administration of sodium nitrate. Treatment with hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) has been studied in animal models, and has also been used in a number of patients. However, the clinical effectiveness of this mode of therapy has not been clearly proven. Having recently treated a case of H2S poisoning, we suggest HBO to reduce mortality.
|Pages (from-to)||300-302, 360|
|State||Published - 1 Nov 1994|