Aim: This paper describes the experience at a district general hospital of coping with an abrupt onset of calcification of Hydroview intraocular lens (IOL) implants requiring exchange surgery mostly for symptoms of glare, even though the visual acuities were relatively good. Methods: In this retrospective study, the operative details of 174 consecutive lens exchanges by one surgeon were retrieved from the surgeon's notes. Of these, pre and post-operative details of 106 consecutive patients were obtained from the hospital notes. Results: Of the 174 lens exchanges, all were sutureless except one and 31 eyes (18%) had had previous capsulotomies. Of 143 eyes with intact posterior capsules, eight (5.6%) needed anterior vitrectomy. Lens replacements were in the bag in 136 (95%), in the sulcus in five (3.5%), and in the anterior chamber in two (1.5%). Of the 31 eyes with previous capsulotomies, 10 (32%) needed anterior vitrectomy. Lens replacements were in the bag in 22 (71%) and in the sulcus in the remaining nine cases (29%). Postoperatively the best-corrected visual acuity was improved in 53%, remained the same in 35%, and deteriorated in 12%. Conclusion: The lens exchange procedure was mostly predictable with satisfactory visual results allowing preoperative counselling of risks to be similar to that for cataract surgery. The onset and resolution of the period of implantation of lenses requiring exchange has not been explained.