Gastric surgery is not a risk for Barrett’s esophagus or esophageal adenocarcinoma

Benjamin Avidan, Amnon Sonnenberg*, Thomas G. Schnell, Stephen J. Sontag

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Background & Aims: The contribution of duodeno-gastroesophageal reflux to the development of Barrett’s esophagus has remained an interesting but controversial topic. The present study assessed the risk for Barrett’s esophagus after partial gastrectomy. Methods: The data of outpatients from a medicine and gastroenterology clinic who underwent upper gastrointestinal endoscopy for any reason were analyzed in a case-control study. A case population of 650 patients with short-segment and 366 patients with long-segment Barrett’s esophagus was compared in a multivariate logistic regression to a control population of 3047 subjects without Barrett’s esophagus or other types of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Results: In the case population, 25 (4%) patients with short-segment and 15 (4%) patients with long-segment Barrett’s esophagus presented with a history of gastric surgery compared with 162 (5%) patients in the control population, yielding an adjusted odds ratio of 0.89 with a 95% confidence interval of 0.54-1.46 for short-segment and an adjusted odds ratio of 0.71 (0.30-1.72) for long-segment Barrett’s esophagus. Similar results were obtained in separate analyses of 64 patients with Billroth-1 gastrectomy, 105 patients with Billroth-2 gastrectomy, and 33 patients with vagotomy and pyloroplasty for both short- and long-segment Barrett’s esophagus. Caucasian ethnicity, the presence of hiatus hernia, and alcohol consumption were all associated with elevated risks for Barrett’s esophagus. Conclusions: Gastric surgery for benign peptic ulcer disease is not a risk factor for either short- or long-segment Barrett’s esophagus. This lack of association between gastric surgery and Barrett’s esophagus suggests that reflux of bile without acid is not sufficient to damage the esophageal mucosa.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1281-1285
Number of pages5
Issue number6
StatePublished - 2001
Externally publishedYes


Dive into the research topics of 'Gastric surgery is not a risk for Barrett’s esophagus or esophageal adenocarcinoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this