Factors affecting the decision to rehabilitate the posterior maxilla following surgical closure of oroantral communications/fistulae – A cohort study

Yehonatan Ben-Zvi, Eli Rosenfeld, Daya Masri, Gal Avishai, Adrian Kahn, Liat Chaushu*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background: Search of the English literature yielded no studies assessing the chosen dental treatment following surgical closure of oroantral communication/oroantral fistula (OAC/OAF). The purpose of the present study was to assess factors affecting the decision to rehabilitate the posterior maxilla following surgical closure of OAC/OAF. Methods: Consecutive patients at a single center. A structured form served to collect the data. The differences between groups (cases with versus cases without restoration) were assessed statistically. Results: A total of 58/121 responding individuals (62.1% men). Average age 51.57 years. Average waiting time prior to restoration 10.34 months. Most (51.7%) healthy. Most had a dental etiology (60.3%). Thirty-nine (67.2%) patients had a restoration of the posterior maxilla. Most of the patients responded that the reason not to do any restoration is the fear of failure (65.5%). Most of the patients completed the restoration procedure in a private clinic (87.2%). Only one patient (2.6%) reported a complication. Approximately half of the patients had implant supported prosthesis (ISP) following sinus augmentation (48.3%) with delayed implant placement. Most of the patients responded that the reason not to have ISP was the fear of failure (72.7%), and the rest responded because of financial issues (27.3%). For tooth supported restoration, most of the patients responded removable (90.9%). Conclusions: Surgeons generally wait 6-12 months following surgical treatment of OAC/OAF prior to reconstruction with ISP. The chance for complications is low. Healthy women after dental induced OAC/OAF have the highest chances to seek for ISP in such circumstances.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)656-661
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Periodontology
Volume93
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - May 2022

Keywords

  • dental implant
  • maxillary sinus
  • oroantral fistula
  • rehabilitation

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Factors affecting the decision to rehabilitate the posterior maxilla following surgical closure of oroantral communications/fistulae – A cohort study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this