Correlation between retractions of the pars flaccida and the pars tensa

Michal Luntz*, Camil Fuchs, Jacob Sade

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

16 Scopus citations

Abstract

Retractions of the pars flaccida (PF) and the pars tensa (PT) were assessed in 250 atelectatic ears in an attempt to find out the way in which the differences in mechanical properties of the two parts of the tympanic membrane are reflected clinically. Retraction of PF was found in 217 ears (86.8 per cent) and retraction of PF in 150 (60 per cent). The concomitant presence of both types of retraction was observed in 117 ears (46.8 per cent) while 133 (53.2 per cent) had only one type, 100 of them (75.1 per cent) PF retraction and 33 (24.9 per cent) PT retraction. When only one type of retraction was present, the empirical probability of having a PF retraction was 75.1 per cent, while the probability of having a PT retraction was only 24.9 per cent. Clinically, the more frequent occurrence of PF retraction in the absence of PT retraction than vice versa reflects the greater collapsibility of the PF. When both types of retractions were present, we found a positive correlation between their severity.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)322-324
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of Laryngology and Otology
Volume111
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - 1997

Keywords

  • Atelectasis
  • Middle ear
  • Middle ear ventilation

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Correlation between retractions of the pars flaccida and the pars tensa'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this