Comparative efficacy of two anti-bacterial/anti-inflammatory formulations (Auricularum* otic powder and dex-otic† drops) in the medical treatment of otitis externa

Eitan Yaniv, Jacob Shevro, Benny Nageris, Moshe Lapidot, Tuvia Hadar, Barbara Cahani, Chaim Zegerman

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background: Otitis externa (OE) is a common disorder which can cause severe pain and discomfort with discharge and hearing loss. The majority of topical preparations for OE treatment contain a combination of steroids and antibiotics and are administered as ear drops. Otic powder preparations are less common. We found no studies which compared the efficacy of the two dosage forms. Objective: The purpose of the study was to compare the healing process of the external ear canal when treated locally either with otic powder (Auricularum), a preparation containing antibiotic, steroidal and antimycotic components, or with otic drops (Dex-Otic), a commercial ear drop preparation containing antibiotic and steroidal components. Methods: The study was designed as an open, randomised, comparative clinical trial. Ambulatory patients suffering from OE were examined by an ear specialist and randomly divided into an otic powder (Auricularum) treatment group and an ear drop (Dex-Otic) treatment group. Each treatment group was treated in accordance with the daily doses recommended by the manufacturers. Patients were treated for a period of 14 days and examined on days 0, 3, 7, 10 and 14. Clinical signs and symptoms recorded were pain, erythema, swelling and discharge. Results: A total of 67 patients entered the study. The probability of healing within 7 days was 74% in the otic powder group as opposed to 40% in the ear drops group (log rank test, p = 0.0013). The probability of total pain relief after 3 days of treatment was 60% in the otic powder group compared to 53% in the ear drops group (log rank test, p = 0.0001). Conclusion: We conclude that treatment with an otic powder (Auricularum) may promote earlier healing and pain relief than does treatment with otic drops (Dex-Otic).

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)520-522
Number of pages3
JournalCurrent Medical Research and Opinion
Volume18
Issue number8
DOIs
StatePublished - 2002

Keywords

  • Antibiotics
  • Combined drug therapy
  • Otic drops
  • Otic powder (Auricularum)
  • Otitis externa

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Comparative efficacy of two anti-bacterial/anti-inflammatory formulations (Auricularum* otic powder and dex-otic† drops) in the medical treatment of otitis externa'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this