The morphology and patterns of distribution of the argentophilic structures of miracidia and cercariae of Philophthalmus distomatosa n. comb. are described. The epidermal plate arrangement of the vast majority (94.2%) of miracidia studied conformed to the formula 6:8:4:2 = 20. The rest (5.8%) displayed the following patterns of arrangement of epidermal plates: 6: 7:4:2 = 19; 6:6:4:2 = 18; and 6:4:4:2 = 16. Twenty papillalike structures were observed on the terebratorium. They were arranged along 1 axis, in 3 groups. Most commonly, 16 papillae were present on the body, located between epidermal plates of the first and second rows. The eye spots were located dorsally, near interepidermal space S1. The numbers, arrangements, and locations of the excretory pores varied. Patterns of distribution of the tegumentary papillae of P. distomatosa n. comb. cercariae are given, including those of the cephalic regions, periacetabular region, and tail. Argentophilic structures of the mentioned larval stages and of other parameters clearly distinguishing between the presently described species and those of P. lucipetus from Israel are summarized. On the basis of comparison of the presently described larval stages and those of other Melanoides tuberculata-associated larval stages of Philophthalmus in Israel and Jordan, the possibility exists that a third species occurs in Israel.
|Number of pages||5|
|Journal||Journal of Parasitology|
|State||Published - 2000|