Acute Resin Phenol-formaldehyde Intoxication. A Life Threatening Occupational Hazard

N. Cohen, D. Modai, A. Khahil, A. Golik

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

1 A 38-year-old previously healthy worker accidentally spilled phenol-formaldehyde resin over a large area of his skin. 2 Several days later he was hospitalized with extensive necrotic skin lesions, fever, hypertension, adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), proteinuria and renal functional impairment. 3 All symptoms improved progressively and eventually disappeared. 4 We propose that toxic materials originating from the necrotic skin lesions and the continued facilitated absorption of the resin and/or its components via the skin lesions were the main factors responsible for this alarming multisystem involvement. 5 Workers handling this material should be instructed to take appropriate precautions and physicians should be alerted to the potential pathophysiological consequences.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)247-250
Number of pages4
JournalHuman and Experimental Toxicology
Volume8
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - May 1989

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Acute Resin Phenol-formaldehyde Intoxication. A Life Threatening Occupational Hazard'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this